Thursday, July 9, 2009

Diamonds in the Ruff




As I was walking home yesterday, I started reflecting on the days past and some of the years that I have spent in Nigeria and I came to one conclusion; I'm a "diamond in the ruff".

In the urban dictionary there are different meanings to this expression and I think only one is appropriate in this case; it is metaphorical and relates to the fact that naturally occurring diamonds are quite ordinary at first glance, and that their true beauty as jewels is only realized through the cutting and polishing process.

I do believe that we are all diamonds in the ruff, we were created in God's image but because we all have a sinful nature, our Father has to continually polish us and what better way to do it but in the "ruff"? The "ruff" refers to those situations that threaten to tear you apart literally but they are not designed to do that, rather they are to help you become a better person if you choose to learn the lessons these experiences offer.

Im a stickler for order and when that order is disrupted I get distressed. Lately, I have noticed that some of the people I supervise are beginning to slack with their work and it has bothered me greatly. I have approached some of them on an individual basis to establish what the problem is but looks like all counsel and encouragement has been in vain.

Subsequently I have been forced to organise a meeting to bring these matters to the fore. What is interesting is that I had created a mini system through which these people could work effectively because their job requires high concentration but looks like they arent used to working without being micro managed which Im afraid is so last century.

This bunch of people are beginning to get on other people's nerves and many are questioning whether they are adding any value to the company; when this company was created more than just a year ago, there were questions about the system to be adopted by it, some of us saw problems ahead but management saw otherwise and we decided to ride along.

This morning I broke a fight between two colleagues who had disagreed on a rather minor issue; I had to stand between these two men to ensure that they didnt punch each other. It was crazy!

In the last decade I worked for companies where energy was meant to be expended on creativity ; you just didnt have the time to gossip, to bicker or to be petty but alas its not the case where I am and Im hoping that as a diamond in the ruff that these experiences teach me to be a better leader.


The Bible says, "If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God ..." (James 1:5).

So help me God!

2 comments:

  1. Hi flor,

    I appreciate ur keen insight on the work issues. Just relax and widen your vision on other aspects that could allow you to resolve them amicably. keep trying never give up.

    ReplyDelete